The Joiners Arms, The Square, Littlethorpe, Leicestershire & It’s History

The Joiners Arms was one of Littlethorpe’s old village pubs, remembered as a small, traditional beerhouse with a long local history. Newspaper reports and local recollections give us valuable glimpses of its story, from Victorian village life to early 20th century licensing reforms.

The Joiners Arms or No.8 The Square is shown on the extreme right.

Locally, the Joiners Arms is recalled as a thatched pub, standing in the corner of The Square, and nicknamed “The Corner Cupboard” due to its small size. It was described as having a little door in the front, with two rooms either side. The left-hand room was where customers sat to drink, with simple bench seating.

One remembered landlord was Jack Biddle, part of the long-running Biddle connection with the premises. In fact it appears it was always in the Biddle family. Was it called The Joiners because the Biddles were carpenters I wonder?

Living next door to Joe Biddle (1879 – 1966) when he was at 12 Station Road, I found in one of his old outbuildings, the original sign-written Joiners Arms sign stored away. Joe, with his wife Emma also kept The Plough Inn between 1911 and 1934.

Plan of Joiners Arms C.1910

1858 – Assault on a Policeman During the Wake

A dramatic report from the Leicester Guardian (20 November 1858) describes an incident during the Littlethorpe wake.

Two men, Abraham Bingley and Alfred Cartwright, were charged with assaulting PC Andrew Lee, who had entered the Joiners Arms while on duty.

Bingley was described as “generally a quiet man” but tipsy at the time.

The incident escalated outside near Mrs. Sheen’s door, where the constable was reportedly knocked down and kicked. Witnesses included Elizabeth Sheen, Elizabeth Derry, and Mr. James Wall.

The magistrates described it as a “very gross outrage” and fined both men:

£3 each (including costs) (2026 comparison would be just under £500) or one month’s imprisonment with hard labour if unpaid.

1862 – Auction Sale at the Narborough Inn

An advertisement in the Leicester Advertiser (1 March 1862) records the Joiners Arms being offered for sale by auction:

“Auction sale by John Holland at the Narborough Inn… a public house… called or known by the name of the Joiners Arms… together with the shop and brew house… and also… three cottages…”

At the time, the pub was occupied by Ann Biddle. The advert also lists cottages occupied by Enoch Sharpe, Joseph Benford, and another unnamed tenant.

The Biddle Family Connection

The Biddle name appears repeatedly in connection with the Joiners Arms.

Local notes suggest:

  • Ann Biddle was present by at least 1858 and widowed by 1861 remaining the landlady until 1897
  • Annie Biddle is also recorded there in 1869
  • James Thomas Biddle and Fanny Biddle were connected with the pub roughly 1900–1908
  • Later the pub was kept by “Jack Biddle” (local recollection)

1908 – Licence Threatened

By the early 20th century, the Joiners Arms faced a familiar rural pub problem: it was considered unnecessary.

In the Leicester Daily Post (6 February 1908), Superintendent Bowley objected to renewal of the licence, stating it was not needed for the neighbourhood.

The report notes:

  • only 80 houses in the village
  • four licensed houses serving them (The Joiners Arms, The Old Inn, The Plough Inn, and The Woodboy)
  • sales of 2½ to 3 barrels of beer per week
  • plus about five dozen bottles

Despite this, it was stated there were no complaints about how the house was conducted, and it was described as extremely clean.

The case was referred to Quarter Sessions.

1910 – Licence Refused

A later report in the Leicester Mercury (7 February 1910) again raised objections. The trade was still small, but the pub was said to be run properly.

Local notes indicate the licence was refused in 1910, which matches the direction of the newspaper reports. Compensation for the loss of the licence was paid later that year, and amounted to £952 (that’s a whopping £145,000 at 2026 values!)

Closure and Later Memory

Although the licence was removed around 1910, local memory suggests the Joiners Arms may have remained standing or in some form of use, with a possible closure date of 1938 (to be confirmed).

A Small Pub with a Big Place in the Village

From a lively wake-night disturbance in 1858, to an 1862 auction listing with its own cottages and brewhouse, and finally to the licensing battles of 1908–1910, the Joiners Arms reflects the wider story of rural pubs across England.

It was small, old-fashioned, family-run, and clearly well remembered — not least for its nickname:

“The Corner Cupboard.” due its small size and location.

Sources

Nev Duncan

Dave Thompson

Newspapers

  • Leicester Guardian – 20 Nov 1858
  • Leicester Advertiser – 1 Mar 1862
  • Leicester Daily Post – 6 Feb 1908
  • Leicester Mercury – 7 Feb 1910
  • Loughborough Echo – 5 Jan 1912
  • Leicester Chronicle – 17 May 1913

Local recollections / notes

  • Thatched corner pub, two-room layout, “Corner Cupboard” nickname
  • Jack Biddle as landlord
  • Annie/Ann Biddle, James Thomas & Fanny Biddle occupancy details

Sources: 

As with any local history research continues on this and more information will hopefully be added as it is found, so keep checking for the latest updates. In fact if you can add anything to the above please get in touch via the contact form

Please follow and like us:

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top
Verified by MonsterInsights